POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brushed Metal : Re: Brushed Metal Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brushed Metal
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 19 Apr 2004 01:54:24
Message: <40836990$1@news.povray.org>
> Neat; there are lots of things motion blur on noise can make! In this
> case, you may find it easier to use a noisy procedural pattern like
> "granite". The following normal resembles what you did with a bump_map:

Yup, although I only used horizontal blur! ;)

> The attached image is a rendering of a cylinder with this normal. By
> using procedural textures, you can:
>
> * Forget about having to make your bump_maps "blend" together.
> * Get virtually infinite resolution because you're not using a bitmap
> but a mathematical function.
> * Use less memory because you aren't loading an image.
> * Spend less time mucking about in Photoshop :-)

I didn't spend much time in GIMP, I knew exactly what I wanted and GIMP
provide WYSIWYG!

And I can easily add home-made scratches to my texture as well...

Though, I like maths and I like a povray file that is "self-contained"
with all the textures generated...  Eventually I may take the time to
learn POV-Ray more indepth, but I'm trying to use the computer the least
possible.  It's not even a hobby anymore, it's more like a sporadic
passion from the past! ;)

Thanks,
   Simon