POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Parsys Example Animation (MPG1, 458kb) : Re: Parsys Example Animation (MPG1, 458kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsys Example Animation (MPG1, 458kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 16 Apr 2004 06:57:26
Message: <407fbc16$1@news.povray.org>
> Very nice! :) This is exactly the kind of scene I was talking about. In
> fact I think I had planned to make a similar animation (water putting
> off a fire) for my own particle system, but never got around to doing
> it.

Finally! We've had the same idea but *I* made it first! ;-)

> Back to your animation. For some reason, once the water hits the ball, I
> think it looks more like ice particles than like liquid water. I think
> that is because water doesn't bounce nearly that much, but rather just
> flow along the surface to get "out of the way". Try to open your nearest
> tab and watch the water as it hits the sink - it doesn't bounce into a
> lot of water drops, it just slides along the surface...

Hm, yeah, might be right. I figured that the water drops from a higher
altitude, but then again, rain drops don't splash into tiny particles that
fly hundreds of meters up again... :-) I'll experiment a little more until I
can come up with a good-looking solution.

> As you say, the fire could be improved, but it still looks quite fine,
> and the smoke looks really good! Overall a cool example animation. :)

Thanks! The smoke is actually only made of 8 big particles with rather low
media-settings, and the fire has this 3D-gamish style, which I like for
simple animations, especially for particle-beginners: it makes the algorithm
a little easier to visualize.

Regards,
Tim

--