POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : US Brig Niagra WIP - 2 (144k) : Re: US Brig Niagra WIP - 2 (144k) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Brig Niagra WIP - 2 (144k)
From: Merrin
Date: 15 Apr 2004 17:45:47
Message: <407f028b@news.povray.org>
"Felbrigg" <som### [at] microsoftcom> wrote in message
> Nice.
>
> Was this Brig really steered with a Tiller, as it appears in the model.
> That amount of sail would put a fearful amount on stress of the guy
> steering.

There are clocks and tackle attached to the tiller to aid the helmsman.

> I'm not expert on cordage, but, I cant make out any ropes for drawing the
> spars round.

I still have quite a lot of running rigging to model. The standing rigging
is almost finished.

> I havn't been able to see any anchors in either of your posts.  Are they
> coming?

I will attach an image of the anchor.

> You might want to have a darker coloured sail option, for the winter/bad
> weather sails.

Exellent idea. thank you very much. This will be easy to implement. I also
have the patterns for the storm sails.

> Is this really a 16 gun Brig!  What size of gun would this carry?  I'd
also
> love to know if there will be any cannons on this model, it looking so
> splendid.

Actually it is a 18 gun Brig. She carries 2 24 pound long guns in the bows
and 16 32 pound carronades.

I have done quite a bit of modelling on both the long guns and the
carronades. I will attach an image of the long gun generated during and
experiment with Iso CSG and textures. It shows that I have quite a lot to
learn about both, but you will be able to see the basic modelling.

Thanks for your comments.

Tim

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Long 24 Test.jpg' (64 KB) Download 'Anchor.jpg' (38 KB)

Preview of image 'Long 24 Test.jpg'
Long 24 Test.jpg

Preview of image 'Anchor.jpg'
Anchor.jpg