POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My First Post : Re: My First Post Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My First Post
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Apr 2004 11:21:10
Message: <407ea866@news.povray.org>
In article <407e9f74@news.povray.org> , Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:

>> What a great argument.  It is not web clients, it is *every* newsreader that
>> has to do guessing where attachments start if a message is not in MIME
>> multipart format.
>
> I'm still not understanding why you'd expect the newsreader to ignore a
> content-type of text/plain but obey a content-type of multipart/*?

I don't *expect* newsreaders to do anything.  I am just quoting a fact, is
that really so difficult to grasp?

> I find that most all messages either post correct MIME

That is because you don't know the MIME specification!

> I find that the clients that try to guess content in spite of MIME
> headers saying what the content are are the clients that are
> traditionally most heinously insecure because of that, which is why I
> don't use them.

Sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about here.  If your
client won't be guessing, you couldn't see most of the messages on this
server at all.

> On the other hand, Mozilla 1.6 (arguably one of the popular clients)
> doesn't understand begin-base64, so the point is moot.

Indeed.

> OK. I'm boggled by the concept that a client should, based on the
> protocol used to retrieve the message, obey a content-type multipart/*,
> ignore *half* of the content-type text/plain, and ... um ... what about
> other content types? What would you do?

You really don't want to understand what I am saying, you you?  It does not
matter what anybody *expects*!  I am just saying what clients do!  And we
cannot change what clients do, now can we?  So we have to deal with it.

>  > The catch is, if you
>  > just put in a Content-Type header without claiming a message to be
>  > compatible with MIME, some newsreaders will ignore the
>  > Content-Type header
>  > completely also many will still interpret it correctly.
>
> But you want them to ignore half the content type, apparently? :-)

Sorry, but now you repeated the same nonsense three times in this message...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde