POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My First Post : Re: My First Post Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My First Post
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Apr 2004 04:29:39
Message: <407e47f3$1@news.povray.org>
In article <407db2bc$1@news.povray.org> , Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

> Alright. If you're going to say "I'll generate MIME headers and put them
> on the posts, but you should be smart enough to ignore them because I'm
> delivering the message over NNTP instead of SMTP", then I'll grant you
> that.  But in that case, why put the headers on at all?

The text character set encoding.  If you don't put one in, newsreaders tend
to assume ASCII plus the local upper page of your character set, which isn't
necessarily ISO-8859-1.  However, as I can more or less control that only
ISO-8859-1 characters come through via the web view posting HTML form, it
makes a whole lot of sense to let newsreaders know.  The catch is, if you
just put in a Content-Type header without claiming a message to be
compatible with MIME, some newsreaders will ignore the Content-Type header
completely also many will still interpret it correctly.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde