POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old Lathe <wip> : Re: Old Lathe <wip> Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Lathe <wip>
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 11 Apr 2004 18:45:30
Message: <4079ca8a$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>  An old 'Rochelle' lathe. Probably from the late 50's, early 60's. I
> built this yesterday, and don't really like the steel texture. I'm
> using:
>
>   texture{Silver_Metal scale  0
>   normal{bumps .1 scale 0.00000001}
>   finish{reflection .13 ambient .12}}
>
>   How can I improve this and make it dirty-looking?

Reflective objects need an environment to reflect, whereas your lathe
and the tiles it's sitting on appear to be floating in empty space. You
might consider putting everything in a shop environment, or even an
empty room (although the reflections from an empty room will be really
bland.. still better than nothing though).

Using low-quality radiosity will then give the room a more realistic
appearance, which will improve the reflections, as well as brightening
up the inky black shadows on your lathe (eliminating any need for
ambient finishes.. remove 'em!), and shouldn't make render times
unacceptably long.

If for some reason you can't or won't do this, at least scatter around a
couple more point lights.

I'm sure I could say more about the textures themselves, but I would
prefer not to judge them in their present lighting environment.

Oh yeah, and don't scale anything by 0. That's just dumb. I'm actually
surprised POV-Ray let you get away with it.

-Xplo