POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gothic Splines : Re: Gothic Splines Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gothic Splines
From: Dan P
Date: 11 Apr 2004 17:59:00
Message: <4079bfa4$1@news.povray.org>
Lonster wrote:

> Does anyone know of a patch that will let POV use an array of vectors as a
> spline?  I would like to do more complex vaulting but using pieces of a
> torus for the ribs is tedious at best.  Sphere_sweeps would be better.  Pov
> can easily generate the vectors I need to do Tudor (think Westminster Abby)
> type traceries, but the only way I see to use them as splines is to dump the
> data to a file and then paste it back in by hand.  Or am I missing
> something?

Wow, great perspective! It really gives it a great sense of height.

I'm a little confused here -- isn't a spline an array of vectors by
nature? Do you have some sample code that you would like to see work?
I'm thinking you might mean "passing an array of vectors" to a spline,
which would put each vector at the location in the array. You might be
able to get away with making a macro to do this.

I've seen, in IRTC scene files, a lot of people using a height_field to
create the intricate parts. It seems to work well, particularly when you
interpolate the source bitmap. I know that's not what you're looking
for; just something I've seen done well with high resolution bitmaps :-)

--
Respectfully,
Dan P