POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old Lathe <wip> : Re: Old Lathe <wip> Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Lathe <wip>
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 11 Apr 2004 16:35:44
Message: <4079ac20$1@news.povray.org>
>>Oooo... too much ambient. :-S I thought it looked (who did they say
>>in The Matrix?) "a little weird".
>
>    lol! Yeah, I can understand that, but too much ambient? Usually, I
> try to keep it down, but this time, I raised it thinking it might show
> a truer/better image - I guess it didn't work though...
>
>    I also tried a Rad scene (my first Rad scene), with this, but it
> looked worse than it does now. Any ideas on what settings I should use
> for a model like this? Would Radiosity be beneficial for this type of
> model?

*checks original post* Hmm... radiosity probably won't do much to this.

The main things radiosity does is make shaddows blurry (so do area
lights - but faster) and, depending on the scene, lighten up otherwise
dark corners (allowing you to reduce the ambient level but still be able
to see). You scene doesn't really have many "corners" to lighten up.

Oh, and if you have brightly coloured objects near white surfaces, you
get colour bleed - but your scene doesn't have anything like that anyway.

>>As for looking more dirty... I can only suggest adding pigment
>>texturing to try to make it look like it has concentrations of dust,
 >>etc. in the hard-to-clean resesses. (Probably a nightmare to texture!)
 >>And make it less reflective, turn down the specular hilight, etc.
 >>Sorry - not much help I know!
>
>     No, your suggestions are helpful indeed! It's always worth trying
> another Povers' ideas... :)

Well - unless said suggestions are stark raving mad! (It seems to happen
from time to time...)

>>Certainly an interesting model though!
>
>     Thanks, a little sweat 'was' also generated for this model, I can
> assure you...  ;)

I'll bet...

Andrew @ home.