POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old Lathe <wip> : Re: Old Lathe <wip> Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Lathe <wip>
From: St
Date: 11 Apr 2004 15:46:32
Message: <4079a098@news.povray.org>
"Andrew C on Mozilla" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
> > I built this yesterday, and don't really like the steel texture.
I'm
> > using:
> >
> >   texture{Silver_Metal scale  0
> >   normal{bumps .1 scale 0.00000001}
> >   finish{reflection .13 ambient .12}}
> >
> >   How can I improve this and make it dirty-looking?
>
> Oooo... too much ambient. :-S I thought it looked (who did they say
in
> The Matrix?) "a little weird".

   lol! Yeah, I can understand that, but too much ambient? Usually, I
try to keep it down, but this time, I raised it thinking it might show
a truer/better image - I guess it didn't work though...

   I also tried a Rad scene (my first Rad scene), with this, but it
looked worse than it does now. Any ideas on what settings I should use
for a model like this? Would Radiosity be beneficial for this type of
model?

> As for looking more dirty... I can only suggest adding pigment
texturing
> to try to make it look like it has concentrations of dust, etc. in
the
> hard-to-clean resesses. (Probably a nightmare to texture!) And make
it
> less reflective, turn down the specular hilight, etc. Sorry - not
much
> help I know!

    No, your suggestions are helpful indeed! It's always worth trying
another Povers' ideas... :)

> Certainly an interesting model though!

    Thanks, a little sweat 'was' also generated for this model, I can
assure you...  ;)

    ~Steve~