POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old Lathe <wip> : Re: Old Lathe <wip> Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Lathe <wip>
From: St
Date: 11 Apr 2004 14:39:12
Message: <407990d0@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:407### [at] hotmailcom...
> St. wrote:
>
> >  An old 'Rochelle' lathe. Probably from the late 50's, early 60's.
> > built this yesterday,
>

> Hey Steve, it looks pretty good!

  Thanks Sam! It's just a guess that it's from the late 50's/early
60's, but I would say close to that. I have the real thing in my
workshop, and would be happy to post the image if you/anyone would
like. :)

> I see a few signs indicating it wasn't built with CSG. Might want to
> make those hex nuts a little less 'telling' by removing the
smoothing.
> It's a matter of taste, though.

   Yes, it was built entirely using Wings, which I'm getting more used
to... I'll re-work the nuts and try your suggestion, thanks.

> > and don't really like the steel texture. I'm
> > using:
> >
> >   texture{Silver_Metal scale  0
> >   normal{bumps .1 scale 0.00000001}
> >   finish{reflection .13 ambient .12}}
> >
> >   How can I improve this and make it dirty-looking?
>

> My first thought is to use some sort of proximity pattern to
distribute
> the metal's reflection unevenly. All proximity patterns are costly
in
> terms of time needed to render them though.
>
> Next idea would be to use a turbulent bumps pattern to make some
parts
> less reflective. Combine that with a slope pattern to add a little
dust.
> Together, they should make that metal look quite old, possible a
little
> abused.

    Could you post some small code to illustrate this? I would then
have a clear idea of what to do.

> >    TIA
> >
> >   ~Steve~
>
> TIA? Thanks in advance?