POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : --- : Re: Alternative rendering algorithm - attached files (1/3) - randomtrace64.png (1/1) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alternative rendering algorithm - attached files (1/3) - randomtrace64.png (1/1)
From: Micha Riser
Date: 10 Apr 2004 06:27:48
Message: <4077cc23@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> Here's the single-path, random choices per-path method, with 64 samples
> and taking 4m 5.03s to render:

Hi Christopher

The picture looks ok, but I think it would be possible to reduce the noise,
that is the variance of the sampling. 64 samples should be enough for a
clear picture.

I have found following thesis with deals with monte carlo integration and
how to keep the variance low:

        http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/veach_thesis/

It also introduces the "integral over all possible lightpaths" principle
wich I think is a really nice and general abstraction. I have started to
implement the bidirectional path integration method outlined in chapter 10
in my own raytracer but had to stop it due to lack of time.

- Micha

--
POV-Ray Objects Collection: http://objects.povworld.org