POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : parallax mapping (504k mpeg 1) : Re: parallax mapping (504k mpeg 1) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: parallax mapping (504k mpeg 1)
From: Tek
Date: 9 Apr 2004 23:14:44
Message: <407766a4$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Matthews" <dma### [at] nospamnet> wrote in message
> Damn.  Now I have to puzzle this out.  Another Friday afternoon shot.
> Anyway, it's turning cold and windy outside, so I might as well stay put.

Well maybe I can simplify it for you: Render an image with the camera above a
checkered plane, now render the same image with the plane twice as far away from
the camera. if you compare the two images you'll see the squares in the second
one are exactly half the size of the squares in the first.

i.e. it looks identical to if you rendered the plane in the first position with
the squares scaled by 0.5 (provided the centre of scaling is in line with the
camera).

Parallax mapping uses this effect to give the appearance that some points are
lower than others, when they're actually just scaled within the plane.

Are we confused yet? ;)

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com