POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : sphere sphere sphere : Re: sphere sphere sphere Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere sphere sphere
From: IMBJR
Date: 9 Apr 2004 16:44:51
Message: <40770b43$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:4076ffd7@news.povray.org...

> "IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
> > A sphere octree-traversed into spheres that were octree-traversed
> into
> > spheres.
>
>      Whoah! Now yer talkin' kid! That's nice, I like that. Explain
> 'Octree-Traversed' please.

Basically, in this piece a sphere's containing box has been split into 8
equal sub-boxes. Those boxes have in turn been split into 8 equal sub-boxes
... and so on. After a certain level is reached, inside/outside object
checks are made against the original sphere using the corners of the
attained sub-boxes as reference points. The results are passed upwards
through the recursive calls and analysed. The aim is to discover the largest
sub-box regions at a given level that are wholly contained within the
original sphere (boy, that sentence was not easy to write and I still don't
think it explains it properly).

In this case those largest sub-box regions are then used to create new
spheres which are then subjected to the same sub-division procedure,
resulting in yet more spheres which, this time, are used in the scene
proper.

I had a version of this going down to level 6, but after 4 hours of parsing
I gave up. The machine I'm currently using does not have much muscle.