POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Logo of IFJ.edu.pl [WIP] - 3 attachments : Re: Logo of IFJ.edu.pl [WIP] - 3 attachments Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logo of IFJ.edu.pl [WIP] - 3 attachments
From: Rune
Date: 9 Apr 2004 12:11:49
Message: <4076cb45$1@news.povray.org>
I must agree with Przemek  - I too find the original logo the best.

To explain my criticism, let me first describe the distinction between
what I call a logo, and what I call the "presentation of a logo". The
thing is - the same basic logo can be presented in many different
versions. It's described here:
http://athlon1700/misc/povraylogo/logoinfo/

And you can see the distinction in action here:
http://athlon1700/misc/povraylogo/logodisplay/

Now, when I look at your modified logo, then in its basic form, it is
very similar to the original. However, it is downgraded in a few
respects:

In the original logo, the ring is thicker at the bottom than on the top,
giving it a sense of 3d, even though it is 2d. This is lost in your
version. In the original, the bottom ball seems to be moving in a
direction, because its tail extends from it to the right only and not to
the left, where there is empty space. This sense of movement is lost in
your version too, as the ring is connected to the ball on both sides.
The shape of the middle f is different in your version too, but I don't
have any preference there - the original and your version look equally
good to me there.

Now, what you seem to have spend the most time on is not the logo
itself, but the presentation of the logo - that is, the extra details
and effects that are not part of the actual logo. By this I mean the
small text, and the atom representation etc. The shadows and radiosity
etc. are also just part of the presentation.

I would suggest to drop all the extra jazz and small details, and focus
on the core logo. Actually the core logo has a cool feature that you
haven't taken advantage of. As I said, the bottom ball (of the j) looks
like it's moving, and the two balls could be perceived as some kind of
particles, or planets or something like that, which are in orbit. That
look to be the idea in the original logo. But you seem to have ignored
this "feature" of the logo. Why not enhance it instead and take
advantage of it? That would be my advise.

Best regards,

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Mar 9**