POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "What's the spider-like object on the left?" : Re: "What's the spider-like object on the left?" Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "What's the spider-like object on the left?"
From: St
Date: 8 Apr 2004 15:51:47
Message: <4075ad53@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote in message
> St. nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/04/06 21:37... :
>
> >"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote in message
> >

> >>120 glass wings???

> > Yes,
> >
> >>241 or more?
> >>

> > No, 2. How did you come to that conclusion?
> >

> If your wings have any thickness, one going in, one going out of
every
> wings, plus one for every reflections, it goes up very fast. If the
> wings are bicubic patches or other no thickness objects, one per
wing,
> plus any reflection.

      Ah, I see, thanks. So if I'm correct, you expected a longer time
than 41minutes based on what I said about the glass wings?

    Ok, I'm at the stage now where I've tried some sample renders with
the max_trace_level set at 35, and from what I can see, the wings look
pretty good, with a slight density in the centre of the wings, (which
I would expect). I want to render this through the night at 800x600,
a+0.0, because when I stopped the renders, they were at line 200 and
that was nearly two hours later, so I can see at least an 8 hour
render.

    My question is though: If the max_trace_level goes higher, is it
worth it for a better quality image? Would there be a significant
difference if I raised by say, 50% or more?

  BTW, I've modeled the legs to how they should be, and introduced a
little bit of yellow body colouring. It should look pretty good. To be
posted soon.  :)

     ~Steve~