POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Faked Volumetrics (35k jpeg) : More Faked Volumetrics (35k jpeg) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  More Faked Volumetrics (35k jpeg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 8 Apr 2004 14:47:47
Message: <40759DEA.90906@hotmail.com>
Hello everyone! Here's an idea I've been thinking of for quite a while.
I'm pretty sure somebody has done something like this before... it might
have been a grass texture, though.

What you see is actually a flat plane layered with over eighty
semitransparent textures. Each additional texture is scaled slightly
larger than the last, and uses a slightly altered color_map (actually a
pigment_map, but it doesn't really need to be one anymore). The texture
is then translated to the camera's X & Z coordinates to achieve a more
proper illusion.

I can't really see a practical application for this trick. Even though
this image rendered in a little over five minutes, it can get very slow
when antialiasing is applied :(  Also, POV-Ray tends to throw an error
if the number of texture layers goes over 100.

I still have yet to try it with radiosity. There's no reason why it
shouldn't work.

The code has been placed (a little too hastily) to
povray.binaries.scene-images.

Questions and comments are always welcome-

-Samuel Benge

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fake_elevation.jpg' (35 KB)