POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My basement with desk : Re: My basement with desk Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My basement with desk
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 7 Apr 2004 09:00:13
Message: <4073fb5d$1@news.povray.org>
"stephen parkinson" <ste### [at] zmemw16demoncouk> wrote in message
> Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> > I'm building a new computer wall-desk in my basement, which will
hopefully
> > be large enough for our 3 computers, plus 3 people.  If not, we'll
probably
> > have to keep one of our current desks.
> >
> > Anyway, one of my first POV-Ray exercises was to build a fairly decent
model
> > of my basement.  At the time, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing,
but
> > it turned out fairly well anyway.
> >
> > Well, I thought it would be nice to get a decent idea of how my desk
would
> > actually look in the basement, so I put this together.  I've noticed a
few
> > mistakes, but since I'm not making a poster out of this, I guess I
really
> > don't care very much.  However, please feel free to suggest things, as I
> > still have much to learn, and this is a fun little side-project.
> >
> > One thing I couldn't get right was the flourescent light.  It just
doesn't
> > seem like it's emitting light (ambient 1 + an area light source +
> > radiosity).  I changed the ceiling tiles to actually look like my real
> > ceiling, which I finally installed a couple months ago.  I never could
get
> > the carpet quite right with procedural textures.
> >
> > Incidentally, my real basement has a door just a few inches left of the
left
> > edge of the desk.
> >
> > (Chairs and library/books courtesy of Gilles Tran's macros.)
> >
> > ii
>
> it might be a good idea to position some suitablely sized monitors
> (boxes) /keyboard/mice mats, together with the areas representing arm
> and elbow movement over the desktop (polygons?), also maybe cones
> representing eye to monitor line
> basically nothing to fancy

I could stick poser models in the chairs.  :-)  I would guess that 3D cafe
has some models of computer components.

I also think keyboard trays may be a necessity at this point.  I'm going to
have to shop around.

> seems rather tight for three seats - good friends i hope :-)

Me, my wife, and my daughter.  Realistcally, there won't be very many times
when all 3 of us would be there at the same time.  I'm still a little
skeptical whether all 3 of us can fit, but we've set our chairs in that
area, and it seems ok, while not leaving a lot of room.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com