POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My basement with desk : Re: My basement with desk Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My basement with desk
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 6 Apr 2004 22:11:52
Message: <40736368@news.povray.org>
Here's my actual design hashed out in Paint, as well as a picture of my
"real" basement, though I'm not sure why I'm throwing that in.  Since doing
this drawing, I've decided to leave the end support boards in their
rectangular shape, since I don't have a table saw (just a cheap compound saw
and skilsaw).

The plan is to support the back side with 2x4's against the wall.  Where the
two mitered pieces meet (in addition to using the supplied bolts), I'm
planning on using another 2x4 screwed into the others.

I could see the middle area possibly needing more support.  One alternate
idea was to place another "support" piece (like the two end boards) kitty
corner through that section, replacing the angled 2x4.  Also, I'm planning
to put the outer supports closer to the edge than they are here.  I'm
planning to use brackets and "liquid nail" glue to attach most of the pieces
that can't be attached in other obvious ways.

Please offer ([very] specific) advice.  I'm new to this, and won't be
offended.  :-)  I've done most of my basement by myself, and frankly, it
shows, though I'm still somewhat proud of myself.  Should that be moved to
p.o-t?

Perfection is easy in POV-Ray.  Imperfection is difficult.  Real-life is the
opposite.  Yet in each, we try to achieve the other.  *sigh*

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message

> "Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
>
> What type of support are you planning on using at the L? I don't believe
> this design is going to work. Nice looking, though.
>
> Depending on the tools you have, I might suggest a three part top with
> legs under the two seams. The wall showing under the table looks nice,
> but you'll definitely need some support back there.
>
> I don't know what your carpentry skills are like, but I can offer some
> more (very) specific advice if it would help.
>
>  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'walldesk.png' (5 KB) Download 'DCP_0001a.JPG' (25 KB)

Preview of image 'walldesk.png'
walldesk.png

Preview of image 'DCP_0001a.JPG'
DCP_0001a.JPG