POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Lake of Fire : Re: Into the Lake of Fire Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Lake of Fire
From: Alain
Date: 1 Apr 2004 19:06:35
Message: <406cae8b$1@news.povray.org>
Dan P nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/03/31 20:31... :

> St. wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>>> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
>>> 1.54 GHz
>>> 512 MB RAM
>>> Windows XP: 2002 SP 1
>>

>>   Thanks Dan. I thought it might have been a lot longer than that, but
>> to say the least for a scene like that, that's fast.
>>
>>   Was it the 1.54GHz or the 512Mb RAM that aided this, do you think?
>> Or both? I feel your image would have taken considerably more time on
>> my m/c. (I have 600MHz and 384Mb RAM, win98SE, Duron mb.).
>

> Probably the memory :-) I have souped-up memory in this thing because
> it used to be a gaming box.

Using win98, any flavour, you can't benefit from more RAM, and may
actualy get crashes if you go 512Mb or more. You get benefits up
to128Mb, then you hit a plateau up to 256. After that, you LOOSE
performances as you add more memory. Crapy memory management.
Those figures where about half lower on win95.

Alain