POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity lighting again : Re: Radiosity lighting again Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity lighting again
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 31 Mar 2004 13:30:24
Message: <406b0e40$1@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia wrote:
> I'm trying an outside scene on a cloudy day... it's the grass scene I have
> been posting.
>
> But the sky_sphere is always beautifully lit, while the rest of the scene is
> essentially black.
>
> Here are my settings, what's wrong?

[snip...]

At least the recursion limit should be over 1 - use the default 3 for
starters and increase if needed. It determines basically how many times
the diffusing light can be reflected to lit other parts in scene. The
bigger the number, more accurate the result and slower the rendering. I
also suggest you start with the default values and specify/change only
those necessary. Now you change all the values and understand none of
them :)

Also, the ambient light level should be 0 for starters in radiosity
scenes. I suggest you set the default ambient light to 0 using:

#default{finish{ambient 0}}

You can do this also with "ambient_light rgb 0" in global settings. This
prevents objects from "glowing". If you need an object emitting light
you can specify ambient light individually when needed.

First learn to use count, brightness and error_bound. Test how they
affect your scene. Then experiment with the other options - one at a time.

And read the appropriate section in the docs.

Severi S.