POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kotoji [142kb jpg - WIP] : Re: Kotoji [142kb jpg - WIP] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kotoji [142kb jpg - WIP]
From: Bill Hails
Date: 30 Mar 2004 15:47:24
Message: <4069dcdc@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> Bill Hails wrote:
>> Following what seems to be a trend I'm also trying to get
>> to grips with radiosity.
>>
>> It would be disingenious of me not to point out that the
>> furthest backdrop of trees behind the far bank and reflected
>> in the lake *is* a photo. Other than that it's all my own
>> macros, textures and csg, uses Radiosity_OutdoorLQ and no
>> conventional lighting.
>
> Your shadows are too soft.. you need a lower error_bound. Use a
> higher-quality radiosity setting, or lower it manually (less than .3
> should work well).

Thanks, I'm re-reading the radiosity tutorial from the manual
and looking through rad_def.inc, probably Radiosity_OutdoorHQ
will fit the bill, but I have a high ambient white sphere just
out of shot to the left and may need to adjust for that.

> The photo doesn't quite blend with the render, but I'm not sure what
> would fix that short of modeling the background.

I have a separate photo just behind the camera to provide an
environment map, I've switched to use the same image as the
backdrop, that may help the blending.

I originally intended to model the whole scene, I still may
do that if this doesn't work out, but it's a lot of work for
something that's not really directly visible.

> Nice picture, though, all the same. :o

thanks.

--
Bill Hails