POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Swarm, early stage (link) : Re: Swarm, early stage (link) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 04:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swarm, early stage (link)
From: Felbrigg
Date: 30 Mar 2004 11:49:10
Message: <4069a506@news.povray.org>
> Hmm. I prefer implementing rules that make sense. I don't see how it
> makes sense for boids to follow directly the rule you describe. However,
> I still think it happens in reality, because a boid will not move
> forward if there are boids right in front of it that stands still. So
> what I'd like to do is implement a different rule than the one you
> describe, but which have a side-effect equivalent to the effect you
> describe. I wouldn't have thought of this if it weren't for your input,
> so thanks!

The "flow" comes about because the unit nearest its target moves out of the
way often making room for those further away.   So if you had a stream of
boids  amongst other "clutter" the one at the front moves first, making room
for the second and so on.  Without this rule those following the first would
have to divert.  Of course, that chaotic effect may actually be what your
after.  When I was playing with this, I was trying to get soldiers to march
in column, hence my rule. Hope that clarifies what I'm saying.