POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Swarm, early stage (link) : Re: Swarm, early stage (link) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:35:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swarm, early stage (link)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 30 Mar 2004 08:03:47
Message: <40697033@news.povray.org>
> Well, it's not really algorithmic advise I'm after... ;) It's more
> observations like "Hey a few of those boids are walking sideways too
> much - that looks odd!". (I did intentionally make the boids be able to
> move sideways and backwards a little, but I think it's maybe too much at
> the moment...)

Hm, well, I've had the animation loop for some time and just inspect their
movement. I think there's too much sideways movement. Additionally, you
might want to have the boids have a viewing frustrum which other boids to
steer up with. For example on the first goal seeking, some boids just run by
the goal because they steer up with boids behind them.

You also might want to add a factor how egoistic a boid is. Some might just
want to push into the crowd when getting to their goal, thus intentionally
getting closer to a boid than it normally should. With varying distances,
some boids will thus get forced out, whilst "stronger" ones move in on the
prey.

Judging from your description what you want to achieve (two-legged, shooting
boids), I'd say you're going for the home-version of Massive, eh? I had that
in mind as well, thus the modular approach for my Particle-System, I can
easily reuse the movement code for boids. It seems like we're often having
same thoughts, but that you're always one step further in actually
implementing the stuff. :-)

But my boids will have to wait a little longer. Need to finish the
particle-system and then cook up a nice keyframing system...

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"