POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : variable density : Re: variable density Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable density
From: Dan P
Date: 29 Mar 2004 22:36:50
Message: <4068eb52@news.povray.org>
Urs Holzer wrote:
> Dan P wrote:
>

>>I need to see the code to understand what you mean. The marbles looked
>>like you had a transmit value to them because of the unnatural look
>>inside. But, I could be totally off my rocker on this (making this just
>>another one of the billions of things I'm off my rocker on) so without
>>the code, I'm just making wild guesses. :-)
>

> A ball looks like this:
>
> sphere {
>   0, 0.5
>   pigment { rgbt 1 }
>   finish { phong 0.8 }
>   hollow
>   interior {
>     ior 1.5
>     media {
>       scattering { 1, rgb 1 extinction 1 }
>       density {
>         crackle
>         scale 0.1
>       }
>     }
>   }
> }

I played around with it a bit and came up with this scene for fun:

#include "colors.inc"

// radiosity (global illumination) settings
global_settings {
   radiosity {
     pretrace_start 0.08           // start pretrace at this size
     pretrace_end   0.04           // end pretrace at this size
     count 35                      // higher -> higher quality (1..1600)
[35]
     nearest_count 5               // higher -> higher quality (1..10) [5]
     error_bound 1.8               // higher -> smoother, less accurate
[1.8]
     recursion_limit 3             // how much interreflections are
calculated (1..5+) [3]
     low_error_factor .5           // reduce error_bound during last
pretrace step
     gray_threshold 0.0            // increase for weakening colors
(0..1) [0]
     minimum_reuse 0.015           // reuse of old radiosity samples [0.015]
     brightness 1                  // brightness of radiosity effects
(0..1) [1]

     adc_bailout 0.01/2
     //normal on                   // take surface normals into account
[off]
     //media on                    // take media into account [off]
     //save_file "file_name"       // save radiosity data
     //load_file "file_name"       // load saved radiosity data
     //always_sample off           // turn sampling in final trace off [on]
     //max_sample 1.0              // maximum brightness of samples
   }
}

camera
{
	location <0, 0.7, -2>
	look_at <0, 0, 0>

	up y
	right image_width / image_height * x
}

background
{
	rgb 0
}

sphere
{
	0, 0.5
	hollow

	pigment { rgbft <1, 1, 1, 1, 0> }

	finish
	{
		//phong 0.8
		specular 0.8 // New syntax is "specular"
		reflection 0.1

		conserve_energy // Often helps, but does not affect this image.
	}

	interior
	{
		ior 1.5