POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Sloyd^3 : Re: Sloyd^3 Server Time
19 Jul 2024 04:08:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sloyd^3
From: Dan P
Date: 27 Mar 2004 21:56:15
Message: <40663ecf$1@news.povray.org>
"Apache" <apa### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Any flash file can be reverse-engineered, so if I were you I wouldn't do
any
> hardcoding of keys with flash clients. It's quite simple to decompile them
> or to read the bytecode! But it will lower the amount of people who
actually
> succeed in cheating considerably, especially if you run the thing over
> https. (That's secure http which runs over an encrypted port 443 if i'm
> right.)
> Believe me, it's much easier to replay the game server side than *trying*
> secure the thing client side.

Thanks for the advice! You make a good argument for running the game on the
server-side, even if it is just to compute the score. It is the only way I
can think of too that would truly be secure.

> The make cheating as even more difficult: use https, replay the game
> server-side and prevent client-side browser caching as much as possible
(if
> that doesn't happen already because of https). But that involves much more
> data transfer on later visits or page reloads.

Another great idea!
For my next game (after I finish the DML transfer to C++) I will make Flash
just the display module and keep everything on the server. I'm not sure what
Cedant's policies are on running server processes of my own, though. They
have such an awesome service, I wouldn't be surprised if it were allowed.
--
- Respectfully,
Dan