POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity artifact cleaning! : Re: Radiosity artifact cleaning? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity artifact cleaning?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 23 Mar 2004 07:16:44
Message: <40602aac$1@news.povray.org>

> Note that reloading radiosity data might make an important difference
> since not all data gets saved to the file (some of the irradiance
> gradient information is lost, this might be the reason for your squared
> artifacts).  Have you tried adding a normal modifier to the second
> texture layer (not much, just a tiny variation)?
>
> I should also add that with high ambient surfaces you should make sure
> you use the 3.6 beta since there were some modifications in the
> radiosity code.  Since the overall lighting level of the scenes is not
> that high this probably does not make much difference but who knows...

   Thanks! I combined your 2 suggestions in one (downloading the beta
and using a normal), and the results are slighty better.

   The best result I achieved, was using the filtered layer with a
little normal when saving rad data (with "normal on"), and later
reloading the data without the normal. But it still has some problems,
as even worse artifacts showing on reflections if these are not included
when saving rad data.

   It can help a bit with poor/medium quality settings, and in fact I
was using/suffering it for sometime without noticing, as many of my
textures have a filtered layer with normal on top. At least now I'm
aware that it happens, and how it affects the artifacts... :)

--
Jaime