POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Crazy ovals... : Re: Crazy ovals... Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:33:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ovals...
From: Marvin Taylor
Date: 18 Mar 2004 13:41:03
Message: <4059ed3f@news.povray.org>
Marvin Taylor wrote:
> Aubrey Lamb wrote:
>
>>>  I am in need of help in solving a three part problem. Hopefully some
>>> patient soul out there will look upon this request as a challenge and
>>> not the nightmare I do!
>>>  First, how is an elliptical orbital path for an object created?
>>>  Secondly, how can the speed of the orbit and the shape of the path be
>>> graduated individually or interdependently over a set variable of time?
>>>  And finally, could an elliptical orbital path be intersected at any
>>> two points with a straight line and rotated on that axis?

I will post a set of macros (and an example scene file) in
p.b.scene-files for doing orbits -- *without* cumulative errors and
since it finds the location directly it is much faster.   Note, that it
iterates for precision, so the answer still isn't perfect, but the error
is not *cumulative*.

See Tim's post for rotating the orbital path (although I didn't try it
with these macros).

The scene file posted in p.b.s-f has a sun, earth and moon (with the
dimensions completely off by lazy intent), whereas this has only a
sun/earth.

Marvin

BTW, the post in p.g was by Dr. Engelbert Buxbaum, not Baxbaum - sorry.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'orbits.mpg' (112 KB)