POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oak Tree (via PovTree/TomTree) : Re: Oak Tree (via PovTree/TomTree) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:36:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oak Tree (via PovTree/TomTree)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 18 Mar 2004 11:15:48
Message: <4059cb34$1@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message

> looks like a youngish live oak. I'm not sure of the capabilities of
> TomTree, but live oaks have more consistency in the size of the larger
> branches, the largest of which are much thicker in proportion to the
> trunk.

 Actually, what I was shooting for was an old White Oak.  From the pictures
that I found on the Web, white oaks around here in Michigan grow differently
from further south, though.  I think I've created a reasonable
approximation, but it's certainly not perfect.  I wasn't able to get the
twigs short enough.  Older tress have shorter "snaggier" twigs, as much of
their growth is behind them, I guess.  I couldn't figure out how to do that
in POV-Tree, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible.  As a result,
this tree also kind of looks like an old Sugar Maple, except that the bark
is too dark for that.

I would guesstimate the age of this "oak" to be about 80 to 100 years.  Not
particularly old.

IMHO, POV-Tree + TomTree is a killer combination.  Without POV-Tree, TomTree
overwhelmed me.  Now I can actually get a grasp on the parameters.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com