POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Arealights questions.... : Re: Arealights questions.... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arealights questions....
Date: 18 Mar 2004 01:57:37
Message: <40594861@news.povray.org>
I agree. I should have given more clarifications :
I took fade power = 2 of course for the experimentations.
Furthermore, your assumption "the spreading of light from a flat area-light
is not realistic. That it should have a stronger intensity at the center" is
correct. (sorry if my explanaison was not clear)

The idea comes from
http://news.povray.org/povray.programming/thread/%3C4044ba89%40news.povray.org%3E/. I
don't know if it has already be used before.

I am looking forward to seeing the new povray rendering on winosi page.

Regards,

Jerome

"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> > By the way, you can see on winosi home page a render made with
> > povray and an usual (and not very accurate for this purpose) arealight.
>
> Yes, in fact I contacted the author of WinOSi some time ago and you will
> soon see a rewamped page, including a new and up-to-date POV-Ray
rendering.

> > I run this scene to demontrate the use of a different kind of arealight
> > for realistic results.
>
> It's very interesting, but unfortunately I haven't understood everything
> about it. I'm not a whiz-kid when it comes to math.
>
> > I hope someone will be interested in making such a feature more
> > easy to use without any trick :-)
>
> I'm sure that we, here at the POV-Ray community, would be very interested
> improve POV-Ray but to get the wise peoples attention, maybe you can post
> more concise layout of your idea. What you posted was fine, but ...for
> example, me... I don't get it... Are you saying, the spreading of light
from
> a flat area-light is not realistic? That it should have a stronger
intensity
> at the center?
>
> This may be unrelated to your proposal, but are you aware that realistic
> light sources should always have the following statement: "fade_distance 1
> fade_power 2".
>
> Regards,
> Hugo

---