POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unlikely Mineralogical Occurence (76k jpeg) : Re: Unlikely Mineralogical Occurence (76k jpeg) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unlikely Mineralogical Occurence (76k jpeg)
From: Samuel T  Benge
Date: 17 Mar 2004 17:29:10
Message: <4058D107.40802@hotmail.com>
Hughes, B. wrote:

> Nice one. Real convincing, even if it would be unlikely. Has good
> photorealism.

Thanks.

> I wonder if rerendering this as an image_map and using either interpolation
> or AA (or both) would help the ruby any. The white jaggies are a little
> distracting, because at first thought it looked as though you were showing a
> piece of artificial stuff found inside a rock.

Bob, the white jaggies were not a result of poor antialiasing
techniques. Look closely and you'll see the antialiasing is really quite
high because of the focal blur. Silly me, I didn't raise the resolution
of the heightfield used to make the ruby (6 HFs & 2 planes, intersected)
before rendering. By the time I noticed them, the render was already
half finished :(

-Samuel Benge