POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten : Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 16 Mar 2004 07:33:01
Message: <4056f3fd$1@news.povray.org>
Marc Roth wrote:
> i don't think you need a guessing algorithm. maybe you could simply keep
> the last three points in memory and create a triangle for a mesh with
> it. then find the next point and create a triangle that uses two points
> from the last one and the new point. if i am wrong here, just tell me
> why, i don't know much about attractors...

These attractors are generated by starting at some initial point in
space, then applying a function to that point to generate the next
point, repeating for as many iterations as you care to plot. The really
interesting thing about them (well, for me at-least) is that though the
points end up forming complex and intricate surfaces in three
dimensions, they aren't generated in a nice progressive sequence from
one end of the surface to the other. Instead they appear in a chaotic
pattern, jumping in a seemingly random sequence from one place to the next.

Put simply, you can't use the order of generation to decide how to
approximate the surface because while for any given point, n, it is
possible that point n+1 is right next to it, it is just as likely to be
over the other side of the object.