POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Spline equation fun : Spline equation fun Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  Spline equation fun
From: Hughes, B
Date: 10 Mar 2004 16:19:39
Message: <404f866b@news.povray.org>
Hi all. LTNP! (long time, no post)

This was what happened while I had been trying to create the symbol for
infinity by using an equation within a spline. Not much to look at when
still images are rendered but it works for animation rather well, I thought.

infiniteloops.mpg is actually a few animations joined together showing
spline
paths that have a reflective sphere following the path around once each.
loopy.mpg is a single path changing with the clock variable. They looked
like fun to watch, hence the reason for posting here of course.

The equations aren't too much, as you can see, simply sine cosine pi stuff:

#declare InfinityPath=
spline {
 cubic_spline
 #local i=-0.05;
 #while (i<=1.05)
  i, <sin(i*5*pi)*2.5,cos(i*5*pi)*2.5,0>*abs(sin(i*clock*10*pi))
 // i, <cos(i*2*pi)*4,sin(i*4*pi)*2,sin(i*2*pi)*1> // infinity-like symbol
 #local i=i+0.05;
 #end
}

then a small sphere with translate InfinityPath(clock) to follow the path,
and:

union {
#local I=-0.03;
#while (I<=1.03)
sphere {0, 0.1 // tiny path-plotting sphere
 translate InfinityPath(I)
}
#local I=I+0.01;
#end
}

for the path itself. Sorry if it seems crudely done.  :-)

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com

Post a reply to this message