POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb] : Re: Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb] Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb]
From: Rune
Date: 10 Mar 2004 14:14:27
Message: <404f6913$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> If you look closely at the last particle that
> bounces back into the glass funnel, you'll notice
> it "wiggles" visibly. I guess that's a side-effect
> from using less samples than frames.

Yes. Increase the number of calculation steps and it should disappear.

> Something of the sort was what I had noticed during
> your beta-tests, but it seemed to have been taken
> care of at that time. Well, testing is never
> finished, is it? ;-)

It's not a bug in the system, just precision errors which can be avoided
by using more calculation steps. This has nothing to do with testing...
:)

> BTW, does your particle-system take several objects
> into account with different "bounce"-settings

No. I didn't thought it would be worth the effort. Few scenes will
require a scenario like that by my estimate. I can't think of cases
where it's needed. Stuff made of particles, like water, sparks, fire,
dust and other things don't really bounce very differently on hard and
soft surfaces. Balls do, but balls are not particles, and thus not the
job of a particle system.

> (which is a modifier for the reversed velocity when
> it hits a surface, right?)?

Yes.

> This way, you can even create Impact-Effects based
> on the object getting hit, which is something I'd
> probably need at some point during the work on my
> Long Term Project, the Short.

What is the scenario that requires this object based impact-effect? I'm
just curious.

> I'm still thinking about that subset-framing issue,
> so that I don't have to run simulations from the
> beginning, but do it like you do: just generate the
> required data that leads to the frame I'm currently
> rendering.

Hehe, it's definitely the feature in my system that caused me the most
trouble. Just a simple thing like randomness suddenly need to be
carefully considerated, and even the rand()-function is not of any
use... :)

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Mar 7**