POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb] : Re: Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb] Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tim's test scene passed [MPG1, 572kb]
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 10 Mar 2004 13:20:01
Message: <404f5c51@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> Looks great! So you're my competition, eh? ;-)

Thanks! And competition results evolution, doesn't it ;-) Actually a
particle system was my intention immediately when I saw Christoph's
animations (especially the elastic bouncing boxes) last year probably. I
HAD to create something similar. I just find it fascinating to be able
to create a very realistic looking simulations just by applying a few
easy equations and some carefully chosen logic. It was such a great
feeling to see the balls bounce the first time!

> It seems like you've used the invisible container as object to sample
> collisions on: the particles are floating above the surfaces and rebounce
> too early. I've described that somewhere in the scene (at least I hope so):
> when simulating just point-particles, the center of a sphere would lie on a
> surface, and thus the particles would visibly intersect the environment,
> though the particles themselvers aren't.

Oh yes, I didn't pay attention on which Environment to use. The second
one seems to be the correct one. Well, maybe next time...

> What are you planning to do with the system, how flexible is it? How easy is
> it to create different kinds of particles in the same scene?

It is still very inflexible. I'm now slowly moving things to macros and
figuring out how to arrange an easy to use, powerful and expandable UI.
Many things will probably change but the start is promising.

I have only one kind of particles and they are created whenever a
certain macro is called. It works, but it won't do any miracles :)

Severi

Severi