POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : izotwizt [16-bit JPEG2000] : Re: izotwizt [16-bit JPEG2000] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: izotwizt [16-bit JPEG2000]
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 8 Mar 2004 21:13:51
Message: <404d285f$1@news.povray.org>

> Perhaps. But it's my call, not yours.

As it is ours; see, I find it convenient to look
at the pictures in this news group without going
through more stages of decoding. Maybe you
should wait until browsers/newsreaders support
jpeg2000/yencode/whatever before using it.

True, Jpeg2000 is a better format, nonetheless,
even if you render your picture at desktop resolutions
(1280x1024 or more) you should post relatively
small versions here, and small pictures (say, 800x600
or less) can be efficiently compressed using baseline
jpeg with higher quality settings.

ftp/http links to the full resolution png versions (or
other picture formats, whatever) should be given
instead of the full versions here. I don't see myself
posting a 2 or 3 Mb file to this newsgroup, even if
such large messages are supported.

True, yencode is good, better than uuencode/base64,
yet, not all newsreaders support it. It's cumbersome.

Best,

    S.

--
Steven Pigeon, Ph. D.