POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : marbles - [16-bit JPEG2000] : Re: jpg version Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: jpg version
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 7 Mar 2004 08:08:31
Message: <404b1ecf$1@news.povray.org>
> >All I saw was artifacts in the JPEF image caused by too low quality
setting.
> >Increase the setting and the artifacts can be mostly eliminated. And
there
> >is no "drop in colour-depth" when viewed with 99,99% of current
videocards.

> That's because the person who posted the JPEG decided to effectly
> deface the image with use of shoddy compression settings. The impudent
> cheek!
>
> READ THE THREAD FIRST. Bloody hell. I'm also talking about gradient
> banding here. Get the facts in first, eh? Colour depth is not much of
> an issue here because of the hardware, but gradient banding is.

You wrote: "you have only succeeded in introducing artifacts and a drop in
colour-depth". And if you agree thatmost people can only see 8bit/pixel
because of the hardware, then the banding is not an issue of file format but
the way you generated/converted the file. Had you applied the dithering
yourseld, there would not be any problem.

Severi