POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : marbles - [16-bit JPEG2000] : Re: jpg version Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: jpg version
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 7 Mar 2004 06:32:14
Message: <404b083e@news.povray.org>
> >Sorry to inform you, but when I want high quality graphics, I use 4800 X
> >3200 bitmaps.
>
> What the fuck does the dimensions of an image have anything to do with
> image formats?
>
> As for 'bitmap', what the fuck does that mean? Are we talking TIFF,
> BMP, PNG, what? Be more precise otherwise you are just coming off as a
> more pointless member of the POV police chorus.

Calm down, no need to get that pissed off. You posted an image in a format
that only a very small minority can view by default - are you surprised of
the feedback? The format is of course technically superior to JPEG, nobody
can deny that, but the purpose of this group is probably to share pictures
with others, not to be an archive of best possible quality images. You can
preserve the 16-bit output of POV-Ray even without posting the same image
_here_ - just take the whopping few seconds to convert it. And again: 16-bit
serves (at the present) no purpose other than for editing as most current
videocards can't show more than 8bits/pixel. You will see the same kind of
gradation no matter which format (8 or 16 bits). But I guess you allready
knew this...

Severi S.