POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Future Vision : Re: Future Vision Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future Vision
From: andrel
Date: 8 Mar 2004 11:51:41
Message: <404CA469.4040506@hotmail.com>
Skip Talbot wrote:

> I try not to get involved in things like this.  I just think the whole thing
> is funny.
For the first few days I was appalled and disgusted by the tone of
IMBJR's comments. I even considered stopping reading the pov news
altogether because it made me fysically uncomfortable to read his
posts. After seeing the same 'arguments' repeated again and again,
apparently without any link to the previous post nor with any
consideration of the poster I start to see the humor in it.
What it also though me is that even though I think I am not
easily shocked normally, this was far over the limits in what
I consider acceptable behaviour. In fact I even felt like I
was suddenly shifted towards the right wing of the political spectrum.

> To me this server is where you try and show off some of your artwork.  The
> goal is to expose it to the greatest amount of people for comments and
> critiscm.  What good is posting in a format that no one can see just because
> it supports a few nice features.  That's just my view.

I hope I get to you before he gets you: you did not read all his posts
carefully and that is an absolute no-no if you have any comments in
this or any other thread he started..
You may think that C&C is the purpose of this group (as do I, and I
think most of the other regulars in this group), but by default
his posts are not for C&C, if he wants that, he will explicitly
state that. Apparently for him the purpose of the post is: having
posted it. Don't ask me why, as far as I can remember he never
explained (with my humble excuses to IMBJR, I also did not read
all your posts, I skipped a few when I could not take it anymore).

Actually I think this is the underlying misunderstanding between
IMBJR and many of the other posters. If you just want to post
an image it is indeed ridiculous if people start complaining
that they can not see it easily. And when you post for C&C on
the concepts or the underlying techniques the actual format is
usually not important. If the point is some artifact then adding
a small detail will normally suffice. So we have two vary different
views on the purpose of this group and with different requirements
for the image with respect to size and quality. (I know there is
a FAQ somewhere that describes the purpose of all the news-groups.
I am, unfortunately, temporarily unable to find it).

	Andrel