POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet WIP : Re: Planet WIP - 1 attachment Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet WIP - 1 attachment
From: Apollo16
Date: 3 Mar 2004 14:05:46
Message: <40462BA6.50207@earthlink.net>
It is too close however. There is something called the Roche Limit which
is approximately 2.4 times the radius of the larger (technically more
massive) object. If the other object enters within the Roche Limit then
the body will break up into a ring. Saturn's rings were caused either by
a moonlet that fell into the Roche Limit and broke up or material that
couldn't form a moon because it was within the Roche Limit.

But having said that... I am all for "artistic license."

Apollo16