POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Presenting YaPS!!! (Mpg1, 651kb) : Re: Presenting YaPS!!! (Mpg1, 651kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Presenting YaPS!!! (Mpg1, 651kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 2 Mar 2004 19:32:46
Message: <404527ae@news.povray.org>
> I don't know yet. I have a bad habit of getting really excited of
> something and then leaving it halfway. But I hope I can make this a
> quality macro library so that it can be useful in other scenes as well -
> at least to me.

Had that problem for quiet some time as well. It helps coding such Macros
with other Users in mind: I've often found that at some point, I wasn't able
to understand the actual use of a certain macro. Nowadays, most of my
Include-Files get released to the public, along with Help-Files and
Examples. When I want to use an old System of mine, I just look it up.

> I implemented a simple adaptive stepping just a minute ago. I have two
> settings: min_stepping and max_stepping (the number of intervals between
> frames). The min_stepping is used normally between frames and if a
> collision is detected then it switches to max_stepping. It really
> speeded things up without losing accuracy. I tried also with a lot
> stronger gravity but now some of the balls are lying motionless on the
> planes - I have a bug! I'll post more examples later when I fix those
bugs.

I'm not quiet sure if I've understood your adaptive stepping technique. So,
you begin with, let's say, ten timesteps per frame, and once a collision is
detected you may switch to 20 or more timesteps? Do you recalculate the
entire frame then with 20 steps, or just with smaller steps once you've
collided? And is this decided per particle, or for the whole system?

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>