POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : World on a Donut : World on a Donut Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  World on a Donut
From: Tyler Eaves
Date: 2 Mar 2004 00:19:15
Message: <4044194e@news.povray.org>
[Note: Superseding the original article, actually attaching the image this
time... Hope this works...]

This was a '1 hour challenge', in which I try to get a particular effect
that I've never done in 60-90 minutes, and see what happens. Usually a few
vague blobs. This one I REALLY like though. This was inspired by an image
by Tek that showed a planet on a non-sphericla shape. I just had to give it
a try. I used a torus for the shape (VERY geologically accurate...)

I'm stoked about how it came out. With more time it can definatly be
improved, and there are a few glaring omissions (Starfield..., real
atmosphere.), but it looks pretty real to me, and for ~70 minutes of
coding...

Basically the scene consists of two concentric torii lit by a parallel
light. One torus is the "planet", the second has a slightly larger minor
radius, and is used to layer the clouds on. I'm pretty happy with the
clouds, REALLY happy with the oceans, and pretty happy about the
continents. If I assume this is planet-like, the geology is pretty lousy,
as it's the same at all latitudes. This, however is a TORUS, no way this
thing could even hold water on the inner surface, and probably not the
outer surface either...

I'm particually proud of the just-noticable 'wrinkling' of the oceans, that
is also evident in space photos of earth.

Source and render attached... I may render a few close to the surface
tomorrow...

Code:

#include "stars.inc"
default{finish{ambient 0}}
sky_sphere{

}
camera{location <.5,.5,2> look_at <0,0,1>}
#declare sea_tex1 = texture{pigment{rgb <0,0,.3>
} normal{agate .05 scale .01} finish{reflection .1 specular .5}}
#declare sea_tex2 = texture{pigment{rgb <0,.4,.6>}

}

#declare land_tex0 = texture{

}

#declare land_tex1 = texture{

}
#declare land_tex2 = texture{

}
#declare land_tex3 = texture{

}
light_source{<1,.3,3>,1 parallel point_at <0,0,0>}

torus{1,.3

}
torus{1,.301

<1,1,1,1>][0.42 rgbf <1,1,1,1>][0.5 rgbf <.8,.8,.8,.5>][0.80 rgbf
<1,1,1,.3>][1.0 rgbf <1,1,1,0>]}}

}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: