POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVing again (~170k) : Re: POVing again (~170k) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVing again (~170k)
From: Dan P
Date: 28 Feb 2004 22:22:00
Message: <40415ad8$1@news.povray.org>
"Sun Tzu" <sun### [at] nospamhotmailcom> wrote in message
> I haven't POVed for about 8 months and just picked it up again.  Close to
> year ago I posted an earlier version of this image.  I did more work on it
> and then left it alone for several months.  The cheese got me frustrated
> because I couldn't come up with something that looked satisfactory to me.
> Also the picture is far to 'sterile' looking, but I'm not sure how to make
> things look dirty or worn.    For example I'd like to have some cheese
> residue on the knife, but haven't a clue how to accomplish that.   I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Hello General Tzu! :-)

This image rocks. I found it easiest to make things look dirty (for example,
the label on the bottle) by averaging in a "wrinkles" pigment at a low
weight. Also, if you change the lighting -- perhaps even add some
atmospheric media -- it will look less sterile too. The trick is, just about
everything is sterile looking when clean, it is the /environment/ that
affects how real things look.

Oh, and the cheeze would be a great candidate for subsurface scattering too.
Lots of interior and media statements make things look really cool :-)