POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : --- : Re: Castle design Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Castle design
From: Shay
Date: 27 Feb 2004 10:56:00
Message: <403f6890@news.povray.org>
news:403d0d63$1@news.povray.org...

| I'm also not sure how much it would speed up the rendering compared
| to just basically commenting out the lights in rooms I can't see.

If you are willing to do this for every frame of an animation, then
light_groups will not help.

| That is,
| after all, the eventual effect of light groups, right?

If you are rendering only one room at a time, then yes. If you are
rendering several lighted areas at once, like in the posted picture,
then light groups will have the effect of commenting out lights for each
ray rather than each frame.

| One renders like 30,000 pps and the other at 400,000pps or
| something,

Extrapolate those numbers to a day long render and it's certainly a
noticeable difference.

 -Shay