POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? : Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 27 Feb 2004 10:28:01
Message: <403f6201$1@news.povray.org>
> I completely disagree. You _should_ always use tabs for indention because
> it saves a lot of bytes on your hd and because anybody can adjust the
> indention depth on his own editor to fit his needs.

	I understand these arguments.

> I once read that this indention issue was actually the reason for tabs
> being invented.

	I don't think so  :-)
	Tabs were invented for "tabulation", meaning aligning text columns
whatever the length (provided short enough) of their content.
	As a matter of fact it can also be used for indentation.

> And that would enlarge the .tgz archive by 770 kb (37.9 -> 38.7 Mb) which
> would take me 3 minutes longer for the download (my 56k modem has
> 4.4k/sec average).

	Well, that's 3 minutes over 2 hours and half... a raw 2% more.
	(you'd better get some DSL model  ;-) )

	Okay, I knew I should not answer Thorsten's notice about tabs,
but what I mean is that you don't always use an editor to look through
the files in a package.  Personally I don't know how to make 'more' or
'less' change the tab width.  Maybe I'll learn something today.
	Anyway this is also a never-ending fight about how a source
code should or should not look like.  I choose to use two spaces instead
of a tab (and those will both compress very well anyway) and to break
long lines before the 80th caracter.  Therefore I can look at my code
even on a non-X term.

	Now, go on with your own style -- that doesn't matter much as
long as the program compiles and works as intended !

	- NC