POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? : Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:42:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ?
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 27 Feb 2004 09:58:19
Message: <403f5b09@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

>> PS: You should really consider using a sane tab width with something like
>> four spaces per tab, and not unreadable eight spaces per tab!
>
> IMO you should never use tabs when writing some code, as they
> make it very unreadable for most people (who usually don't bother setting
> the tab width -- if ever possible).  I'd say tabs can be used safely IF
> your editor converts them automatically to a small amount of spaces
> (ideally 2 -- my personal choice -- to 4).

I completely disagree. You _should_ always use tabs for indention because
it saves a lot of bytes on your hd and because anybody can adjust the
indention depth on his own editor to fit his needs.

I, for example, am used to tab width 4 and I don't like code written
with space-2 indention (too small indention).

I once read that this indention issue was actually the reason for tabs
being invented.

One could argue that today disk space is cheap but see the following
example:
Linux-2.6.3 kernel code would be 24 Mb (!!) larger if people used
4 spaces instead of one tab. That is nearly 15% more just for eye candy.
And that would enlarge the .tgz archive by 770 kb (37.9 -> 38.7 Mb) which
would take me 3 minutes longer for the download (my 56k modem has
4.4k/sec average).

The proper way to do intention is to use tabs.

Wolfgang