POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? : Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Feb 2004 09:30:02
Message: <403f546a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <403f443a$1@news.povray.org> , Nicolas Calimet
<pov### [at] freefr>  wrote:

>> PS: You should really consider using a sane tab width with something like
>> four spaces per tab, and not unreadable eight spaces per tab!
>
>  IMO you should never use tabs when writing some code, as they
> make it very unreadable for most people (who usually don't bother setting
> the tab width -- if ever possible).  I'd say tabs can be used safely IF
> your editor converts them automatically to a small amount of spaces
> (ideally 2 -- my personal choice -- to 4).

Urgh, no, this is the 21st century!  Old junk DOS and ancient Unix editors
that do not support tabs properly should deleted, not used!  There is
progress, and spaces only cause problems when writing code, while tabs make
everything evry easy and fast to write and change.  One simply has to agree
on one tab size for shared code.  Of course, on a particular kind of
platform(s) this seems to be impossible.  Yet, on those platform(s)
everybody still writes C K&R style, so... ;-)

Actually, on Windows the practical standard is the one default of M$
Developer Studio (4 iirc) and on Mac OS the universal standard is 4 as well.
So if the myriad editors on that other "platform" cannot agree on a common
format, who cares? ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde