POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) : Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 27 Feb 2004 07:00:36
Message: <403f3164@news.povray.org>
> 200s simulation time for the whole animation (450 frames), megapov 1.1
> has separate time statistics for the simulation.  That's about 1/10 of
> the render time (Athlon XP 2600+ with other tasks running).

Ah, I see. My latest run through the scene took 0.2 seconds at the beginning
and 0.5 seconds at the end per frame, mainly because when the particles slow
down, they tend to always have contact with a surface, thus more
calculations need to be done for interaction. Parsing total for 450 frames
was 221 seconds, so I guess that's not too bad for interpreted POV-SDL
compared to your compiled script. :-)
Parsing time will increase though when I add some more features that are as
of now still 100% missing.

> Here is another version using function based and method 1 (force based)
> environment.  Simulation time is about 10 times of the previous ones.
>
> http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/particle3.mpg

Looks good, though some damping might be required for the animation to stop.
Another thing I noticed: one particle sticks to the middle platform
underneath the first torus. Its like glued to the right side, but very
slowly drops, and I guess if you added a few more frames, the particle would
finally drop to the floor. My question is: what's the reason for this
stickyness?

> Complete description of the techniques can be found on:
>
> http://megapov.inetart.net/manual/global_settings.html#mechsim

I've had a look at the Mechsim-Docs some time ago when you posted lots of
nice animations and made the patch available. Looks good and useful, but I'm
the "Do-It-Yourself"-Type, so... And scripting is fun! :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>