POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) : Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 26 Feb 2004 18:18:17
Message: <403e7eb9$1@news.povray.org>
> It seems you used much less particles than would result from your
> description in the source.

Uh? Now that you mention it, you're right. I'm using the source with the
mentioned particle amount here, but I must have posted one of the early
animations where I was using less particles. Sorry for that.

> The first is with quite strong damping during collisions - as you can
> see in the other one i had difficulties making the particles fall
> through the torus with less damping.  With so many particles it looks
> quite confusing - you can't really follow the path of a single particle.

What my system does is subtract 25% of the energy that is parallel to the
surface normal the particle has hit last. You're right about the amount of
particles, too many make it hard to discern one certain particle, but that's
mostly part of the idea of basic particle system, right? :-) That aside: how
about letting the particles start in that spherical area I mentioned in the
source? You could easily generate one with a random-stream which is based
off the frame-number, just place a particle with
<rand(R),rand(R),rand(R)>*.2-.1 for a 0.1-radius-sphere and add <-2,3,0> for
the center (you should know that, but I thought I'd just make it explicitly
clear what I'm talking about).

> Concerning performance - since there are no collisions between the
> particles and i used the fastest environment method (object based,
> method 2) it simulates pretty fast, 200s for the whole animation while
> another render was running on the computer.

Not sure what 200seconds refers to now. Parsing total? Parsing plus
rendering, and if so, with which resolution? How many frames total? And what
kind of PC do you have? And how does the system work? From frame to frame,
or independant of frames in given intervals?

I'm curious how Rune's system performs, since his is POV-SDL like mine.
Yours is compiled along into the Pov-Source, right? There just has to be
some speed-up with precompiled scripts.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>