POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snowflake Considers Her Mortal Coil (Final) : Re: Snowflake Considers Her Mortal Coil (Final) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snowflake Considers Her Mortal Coil (Final)
From: Dan P
Date: 26 Feb 2004 00:45:49
Message: <403d880d@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message

> "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>
> I kind of like the no fur, but the pose might need a bit of work. The
> whole thing looks very clean.
>
>  -Shay

Thanks! When it turns summer here, I'll probably be inspired to make warmer
scenes :-) This image started as a personal challenge: to first understand
the nature of isosurfaces and then make a spring. I figured that I could use
Z as an angle in radians and find out X and Y using polar coordinate
conversion. I still wasn't able to change scale Z without flattening the
spring out -- it wound up looking like one of those plastic slinkies. Any
suggestions from the isosurface gurus on how to improve on the spring
function?

(I'm sure there's probably an internal function or something like that in
POV-Ray for this [I'm thinking helix might be], but then it wouldn't have
been as fun :-) )