POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : --- : Re: Castle design Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Castle design
From: Shay
Date: 25 Feb 2004 13:58:28
Message: <403cf054@news.povray.org>
news:403cedc2$1@news.povray.org...

| I.e., it's not obvious to me how to implement the lights in the
| kitchen (top left), north hall, and west hall, where the west hall
| can see the kitchen, the kitchen can see the west hall and north
| hall, and the north  hall can see the kitchen but not the west
| hall, using only light groups.

You can list the same light source in different light groups. The "west
hall" group could contain the west hall and kitchen lights. The
"kitchen" group could contain the kitchen, west hall, and north hall
lights, or, better, only those west and north hall lights which are
visible from the kitchen.

| I'd have to spend some time thinking about whether I could even do
| such a thing with the current sophistication of the macro language,
| and whether it's worth the "coding" hit to save the render time.

This will convince you. Render this code (better do it at a small
resolution) and then render it a second time with the light_group lines
uncommented.

#local S1 = seed(123);
#default { pigment { rgb 1 } }
#local C1 = 0; #while ( C1 < 1000 )
//  light_group {
    light_source { <rand(S1), rand(S1), rand(S1)> }
    sphere { <rand(S1)-.5, rand(S1)-.5, rand(S1)+1>, .01 }
//  }
#local C1 = C1 + 1; #end

 -Shay